Saturday, November 04, 2006

Weightless, but for the Heavy Heart Which Waits.

The leaves outside are bustling in the wind. They are caught up in air traps and left to swirl endlessly around themselves. I am lying in bed; it's late. I am listening to the sounds of a mostly silent city. I am stretching inside my skin, wishing that I was in some other circumstance, that the night was not so close to dawn, that work was not imminent on the horizon.

This month has moved past me, motionless. I have been a specter, a silent witness to my own life. I have been staring, barely expressing a life which I am letting live itself. The leaves have almost fallen; the winter is steadily approaching. I wish I was in the mountains, the smoke of a freshly lit fire flowing above my head, the little flames popping and snapping at my feet. I wish I was walking through a beautiful vineyard, sipping wine and smiling.

I've barely begun to live a life which stretches out before me. I feel that things just move through me, sometimes. That they roll by weightless but for the heavy heart which waits. I remember many things which mostly go forgotten.

I think of specific people, of many people, and I wonder if they think of me. I compose letters to the ghosts of people I haven't seen in years, to the ancient image of them which I've fastened to myself. I know that this is read by at least one of those ethereal apparitions and I wonder if he knows me, if this blog is enough of who I am to let him know me. I suppose that the answer is yes and no. I don't talk much about Cahors or Gigondas or the deep, dark earth of France that I am knowing so intimately. I don't talk about Abbaye de Bellocq or Epoisses or any of the other cheeses which taste just like the sheep and cows and goats which eat the earth of France which I have come to know so well. I don't speak in facts or in faces. I don't speak of Confits or Cassoulets. I don't speak of the sunny Burgundian hillsides or the meaty foie gras from Bordeaux and I suppose it's just because I've never seen them. I only know them in theory and in representations. I love the Loire Valley, the stony minerality that echoes sharp and clean. I can practically imagine myself leaping across a bubbling brook.

I suppose I don't even speak of what I've learned, only what I feel. But, I have learned so much about poise and character and an actual fact rooted understanding of something most people consider so subjective.

Ah, how I love food and wine. I say as I sip my Gigondas.

I can't wait till Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home